Saturday, April 25, 2009

Sharon Brown, "I Specialize In Love" (1982)

I spent almost twenty years looking for this dance record before finally finding it at The Thing in Greenpoint. Written by Golden/Sher and produced by Next Plateau founder Eddie O'Loughlin, the tune was sort of a cross between early disco and Hi-NRG, mixing Latin percussion and a midtempo groove with jumpy synth, diva belting, and a winning attitude. I heard it a lot in 1982, though it seems like I never heard it on the radio, only coming out of passing cars, which is one reason I had trouble figuring out who the singer was. The other reason is, Brown never had much of a career apart from this one song: she apparently fell out with her label after they released a follow-up ("Love Don't Hurt People") she wasn't happy with, they parted company, and she ended up never releasing an LP.

The song was covered by Exposé in the mid-90s, and their version isn't half-bad, but track down the original if you can. Alternatively, you can check it out on YouTube.

4 comments:

Sharonbrownispecializeinlove@gmail.com said...

Greetings Friends,
This is the official Sharon Brown and I want to thank you for your comments concerning my hit record and if you don't mind I would also like to say I do have new music out and the sad part is I have not landed any promotional firm to promote for me so right now it is word of mouth !
On iTunes " Give Love A Chance " Also
" You'll Never Know "
Visit me on Facebook, Twitter, myspace, Hi5

greg said...

hi Sharon
i really mis your music. i really hope you will be singing again like you used to - beautiful vibrant and wonderful.is your music available in south africa?
regards

greg
south africa

greg said...

Hi Sharon
i was one of your greatest fans(still am). i really hope you will sing again - like we used to know you - famous, beautifula nd wonderful.
greg - south africa

jazzmore said...

"I Specialize In Love" is a true dance/club classic--yet unique. It was a big radio hit in NYC (and also internationally). The song was written by Lotti Golden and Richard Scher.